Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My biggest project ever!

Hi everyone!
 
Today I can finally reveal the afghan that I've been working on: 



 

This really is the biggest project I've ever made and I have to say I am in love with it!
 
This weekend I spent an afternoon snuggled under the blanket crocheting next to my husband. It was bliss <3
 
 
I've done lace weight shawls that have taken longer to finish that this, but the size and weight of this afghan means it is much bigger than anything I've done before.
 
 
 
I wanted to make it big enough to completely cover a double bed but I didn't have quite enough yarn and it came in a bit short:
 
 
It's a real mismatch of squares of different sizes. Some I made up myself, some I found in books and some I found online.
 
 
I used 100% acrylic aran weight yarn in 3 different colours. I joined the squares with a mixture of reverse single crochet and slip stitches and added a border with the left over white yarn.

 
As I was getting close to finishing it, I couldn't wait to finally weave in all the ends and pop it in the washing machine! When it came out all soft and smelling of fabric softener I loved it even more :)
 
 
This is my first afghan but I will definitely be making more in the future!
 
~
 
Don't forget to stop by my giveaway. There are still two more weeks to go before I draw the winner :)
 
~
 
Have a wonderful day!
 
x

23 comments:

  1. Hi !!
    Wow !! What an array of different squares !! I love making afghans although they might take a while to finish and put together. I love your bigger squares, they are unusual !!

    xEva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful !!! You can be proud !
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!!!
    Very,very nice!!
    Greetings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! You did a great job. Hope that you have lots of snuggly times with your new blankie! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It´s a really beautiful desing, congratulations!!
    Warm regards from Canary Island.

    anillosybotones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blanket, I love the colors and the all the different squares.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's just lovely - well done you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! So much detail and planning went into this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!! I can imagine it is bliss to cuddle up under your blanket. You must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Awesome afghan! Looks so cosy! Love the different squares!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful Elizabeth, I love the colours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful Elisabeth - the colours and variety of shapes and sizes give it an extra 'shine'! Well done, I could happily snuggle under this one, thank you! Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Elisabeth!!! it is a beautiful blanket. I am amazed that your first blanket was this intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats, Elisabeth! So good to see your cheerful, girly afghan :) I love you combined different squares, the colors are amazing! :)
    I also crochet next to my husband, I feel so cozy doing this :)hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those really are your colours and it looks great. I am making a blanket with samples stitch patterns on, hope it is as pretty as yours. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Such beautiful colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its gorgeous and I love the colours.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is absolutely beautiful and I am sure it will give you hours of comfort and pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  19. It amazes me what you can accomplish! Stunning!! How do you do it?? How do you find the time? I can't find time to tie my own shoes!! UGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is gorgeous Elisabeth and the colours so very you! Well done, you must feel so very chuffed as it is really beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. çok güzel olmuş ellerinize sağlık :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...